Monday, January 20, 2014

Latest Batch of Art Out of the Kiln!

New buttons and other ceramic artwork fresh out of the kiln! I'm really excited about some of the new shapes I'm using now. Rectangles (pictured above) are fun to work with and they go through a buttonhole much easier than some of my other, larger buttons and embellishments!
Pictured below, some new triangle buttons:
And some more beads! I love making these, they're sooo much fun to shape and paint with different colored glazes. But with my current setup, I can only fire a little over a dozen beads at a time. I do adore these little treasures...
Owls, anyone? This is a new shape I'm experimenting with. It will be fun to hand-carve a new rubber stamp design to use with this shape.
I also made a couple of jar frogs, just for fun. For those of you who might be unfamiliar with this term, a jar frog is a disk with large holes in it (as pictured below), which you place over a medium-size jar filled halfway with water. Then you run flower stems through the holes and into the jar. The jar frog makes it easier to arrange flowers into pleasing designs.
Round and oval buttons are always popular:
And here's a fun new shape: skull! I only made two of these buttons because they're huge and I'm not sure how well they'll go over with my customers. I guess I'll find out when I put them in the quilt show taking place Feb. 7-8 in San Jacinto, California:
Also made some more square buttons, because knitters and quilters seem to really love them:
Diamonds are a knitter's best friend, right?
And flower power is here! I love the idea of embellishing a hand-knit hat or hand-quilted purse with a big, bold ceramic flower:
My absolute fave is this spiral-flower button in turquoise glaze. The clay is basaltic black, which I just love:
So that's it for now. I have another batch in the kiln today, but I won't be able to open the lid for two days! It takes a really long time for a kiln to cool down after firing up to cone-6, and if you open the kiln too early the thermal shock (from cold air hitting hot glaze) will cause cracking and breakage. It's a bit challenging for me to resist opening the kiln for a peek at my new creations, but I've found that if I practice patience I won't regret it...
Cheers,
Sharilyn

4 comments:

Cynthia Coulter said...

How did you make those beads without the glaze sticking? Did you leave the backs unfired? I can't tell from the pic, but love the shape and designs.

Cynthia Coulter said...

duh....the tube shaped ones.

Unknown said...

I was wondering the same thing.

Blogger said...

Get all your favorite spirits and wines on Duty Free Depot!

All the world famous brand name beverages for unbelievable discounted prices.